To be honest, the past 3 years we weren’t great fans of the circus. You see, they used to set up the Wednesday and Thursday right before PorktoberQue which meant that we couldn’t set up any of the tents, tables, chairs or other infrastructure of the event until Friday morning. Also, our teams coming to compete from out of state had to wait until the middle of the night at the earliest- Friday at the latest- to get set up.
But, something wonderful happened this year, and the circus switched their days to Tuesday and Wednesday this year. This means that our competition teams who want to get parked and situated on Thursday can do so at their leisure. Also, we have a little extra time to get the tents set up, the Ultimate Air Dogs pool filled with water, and the Man Cave ready to roll this year, too. So for once we can say, WE LOVE THE CIRCUS!
PorktoberQue is September 23-25, 2016 in Dothan, Alabama at the Houston County Farm Center. The event is pet friendly (must be on a leash) and kid- friendly (no leash required for them). For information on being a vendor, call 334-699-1475
Lots of great activities TODAY at PorktoberQue!
Today, Saturday, September 26th the gates to the Houston County Farm Center are open from 10am until 7pm! You can buy your tickets at the door- just $4 per person and people in lederhosen get in free! Kids 6 and under are also free. Well behaved pets on a leash also welcome. Many thanks to MIke Schmitz Automotive Group for their sponsorship and assistance in helping us put this event on.
There are lots of great events happening today, including:
- KCBS Barbecue competition all morning and afternoon. Several teams and vendors will have barbecue for sale, too.
- Kids Que pork chop grilling competition from 9:30-11. Awards at 1:55 on the stage.
- Classic and antique car show -registration for classic cars from 8-11 and the show for spectators is from 10-3 with awards at 3:00
- Pet A Pig- visit the pig petting booth near the barns and pet a pig for free, courtesy of Over the Top BBQ and the Miss BBQ Queens
- People’s Choice tasting tent opens at 11:00 For a donation to the NHS Cross Country Program, sample all the barbecue you want and vote for the best!
- Cornhole tournament at 3pm
- The air-conditioned Fest Haus is open from 10 -7 tonight. Inside it will be live polka music, dancing, shopping with vendors and the Sam Adams Octoberfest-style beer. There are also food vendors in here including bratwursts and bavarian-style pretzels.
- Boat and RV show open 10-6
- The Reptile Discovery Program will have shows today at 11:30, 1:30 and 3:45 with meet and greets afterward inside the air-conditioned Fest Haus
- The free bounce houses for kids will be open from 10-5
- The Ultimate Air Dogs Dock Diving Competition will begin tonight at 10:00 and continue until it is over, approximately 5:30 pm
- The Man Cave will have TV’s going all day, powered by DISH. The Man Cave is a great spot to sit, eat dinner and have a drink, too.
- Polka music all day inside the Fest Haus
- The outside stage has entertainment just about all day:
- Awards 5:30
ON Saturday, September 26 throughout the day you can come to the KMX booth (along the fence between the barbecue part of the festival and the car show) and play games for prizes. Best of all, it’s FREE to play! We’ll update the games as we get more details, but so far we have the following free games to play:
- BOWL YOUR BUTT– from 10 am-noon Sponsored by Dairy Queen. Contestants (5 at a time) will try ot outscore their opponents in ONE FRAME where they will bowl over pig painted pins. The winners will win a prize, and it will be a lot of fun!
- NUTS FOR BUTTS– from 12 noon until 2pm. Sponsored by Wiregrass Liquidators. PEANUT ROLLING GAME- contestants(5 at a time) will put on a pig snout and will roll a peanut from a start line to a finish line. The first one across wins a prize!
- PAINT THE PIG- All day! Sponsored by the Red Barn. COLORING CONTEST- kids can come by the KMX tent and color a pig. An on-air personality will judge for the best. Winners will be announced at the start of the BBQ awards, on the main stage at 5:30 pm.
- Don’t get your TAIL IN A KNOT- KNOT UNTYING GAME FROM 10AM- NOON– contestants (5 at a time will attempt to untie knots from the pig’s tail the first one done will win a prize. SPONSORED BY WET PETS
The Kansas City Barbeque Society is pleased to announce the 100KCBS Meals Mission to help feed the homeless and hungry throughout America with 100,000 BBQ Meals this year. By working with and mobilizing BBQ lovers across the country, from volunteers and attendees to teams at sanctioned events, KCBS will be purchasing Boston pork butts for participating teams at select events to assist in the collection of food in order to make this charitable effort possible. PorktoberQue, in Dothan, Alabama is again participating in this noble mission.
Nearly 15 percent of all US households, roughly 49 million people, struggle to put food on the table. More than 1 in 5 children in the United States live below the poverty line. Though Love in Action Ministries, PorktoberQue will be able to provide hundreds of meals by donating freshly cooked Boston Butts to local residents in need. The cook teams participating in PorktoberQue will be cooking an extra butt for Love in Action to distribute.
Who exactly are the folks at Love In Action International Ministries?
Mission Statement: To proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ through acts of compassion and making disciples in accordance to the Great Commission of Jesus Christ found in Matthew 28:18-20.
How do they accomplish their mission?
- In Dothan, Alabama:
- Provide needs for the homeless – Bible study, food, showers, laundry services, hygiene, clothes.
- Providing needs for the most needy in Dothan – Bible study, food, hygiene and clothes.
- Free health care services for the homeless, women from the House of Ruth and men and women from Houston County Community Corrections. Doctors, nurses, dentists, podiatrists, pharmacists and other medical professionals volunteer their time to help the neediest in our community.
- Outreaches such as our Dothan Bus Station Outreach where we provide prayer and a bagged meal the passengers and drivers can take with them.
- Outreaches such as our Thanksgiving Day where we provide 300-plus meals to the homeless and needy.
- Our newest outreach ministry is our mobile food kitchen. We are now able to go to the people and provide a fresh, hot meal for the homeless and for needy children and adults. This is the ministry in particular that the cooked butts from PorktoberQue help the most.
- Human trafficking awareness campaign and outreaches. Human trafficking happens in our hometown of Dothan, Alabama, and we bring awareness through sharing with local churches, youth groups, schools and civic clubs. We work with the Dothan Police Department, Houston County Sheriff Department and the FBI. We are bringing training to local law enforcement in January 2015. We do outreaches to local strip clubs to reach the women. That is often a big step into the human trafficking industry. We work with national organizations such as Truckers Against Trafficking. We also rescue women from the streets.
Besides helping Love in Action Ministries, PorktoberQue supports over a dozen other non-profits, two local school and several programs within the schools (Cross Country, JRROTC, girls soccer) and other civic groups and churches. PorktoberQue strives to help as many other organizations in the community as possible, since it is entirely funded and supported by the community. Your attendance at PorktoberQue is more than just a great party- it helps hundreds …. maybe even thousands… of others in the Wiregrass!
So, here we are 101 days from PorktoberQue and we’re looking for sponsors to cover a variety of venues and activities. The sponsor fees make the event free to spectators, so we get more people out to enjoy a wide range of activities. And sponsors get a whole lot more out of their investment than a warm and fuzzy feeling… they get a great return on their investment through Event Marketing!
Event Marketing is quickly becoming the most successful way to put your business in front of people! By being a sponsor of a fun event that draws a crowd, you can place your product, service or business in front of potential customers. Studies show that people are more receptive to receiving a marketing message when they are relaxed and having fun. Plus, when they meet you (or your staff) in a friendly, neutral atmosphere and can put a smiling face to your product or service, you gain their trust and possibly their business.
The amount of publicity, advertising and benefit you receive depends on your level of sponsorship. To make it affordable for as many businesses as possible, there are levels of sponsorship available from $250 up to $5,000. While it is true that them higher level sponsor that you are, the more benefits you receive, even the $250 sponsor can expect to receive a 2:1 ROI on their money!
Here are available sponsorship levels for PORKTOBERQUE 2012
Title Sponsorship- $5000 * Limited to one– The title sponsor will receive top billing in all printed and electronic advertising as the sponsor of PorktoberQue. The title sponsor logo and/ or name will be used in all posters, postcards, billboards, news print ads and magazine advertising, and will be mentioned in all press releases and press conferences. This level of sponsorship also includes the largest logo and link on the web site, www.porktoberque.com and will receive 2 banners no smaller than 3’ x 6’ with their logo welcoming people to the event, and a premium space no larger than 40’ x 20’ to promote or sell their product. Title Sponsor will receive 10 VIP all-inclusive weekend passes to the festival, good for all access to any VIP happenings. Sponsor name on Grand Champion and Reserve Champion trophies and the overall winner trophies, as well as the right to award such trophies and winners checks at the festival awards ceremony.
Entertainment Sponsorship- $3500 *Limited to two – The Entertainment Sponsor will receive special advertising in printed and electronic advertising promoting the entertainment/ and or stage at the festival, and will be mentioned as the entertainment sponsor of PorktoberQue. The entertainment sponsor logo and/ or name will be used in posters, postcards, billboards, news print ads and magazine advertising that mentions the entertainment, and will be mentioned in all press releases and press conferences. This level of sponsorship also includes a logo and link on the web site, www.porktoberque.com The day of the event, the entertainment sponsor will receive a stage banner no smaller than 3’ x 6’ with their logo, and a premium space no larger than 30’ x 20’ to promote or sell their product. Entertainment Sponsor will receive 6 VIP all-inclusive weekend passes to the festival.
Dining Tent Sponsorship- $1500 *Limited to three– The Dining Tent Sponsor will receive a logo in printed and electronic advertising promoting the BBQ festival activities, as well as a logo and link on the web site, www.porktoberque.com, a banner no smaller than 3’ x 6’ with their logo in the on the Dining Tent (an area to sit and enjoy food from the festival) area, and a premium space no larger than 10’ x 20’ to promote or sell their product (able to sell in booth space both days of festival). Tent Sponsor will also receive 2 VIP all-inclusive weekend passes to the festival.
People’s Choice Sponsorship- $1250 *One available– The People’s Choice Sponsor will receive a logo in printed and electronic advertising promoting the BBQ festival activities, as well as a logo and link on the web site, www.porktoberque com, a banner no smaller than 3’ x 6’ with their logo in the on the People’s Choice Ballots. The People’s Choice provides samples of BBQ to participants and allows people to vote on the winners. Sponsor to also receive a premium 10’ x 20’ space to promote or sell their product (able to sell in booth space both days of festival) and 2 VIP all-inclusive weekend passes to the festival.
Activities Sponsor – $1100 *There are four available– The Activities Sponsor will get their choice of activity venues and receive a logo in printed and electronic advertising promoting the BBQ festival activities, as well as a logo and link on the web site, www.porktoberque.com Activities include: A BBQ Cooking class, children’s craft area complete with sand art and crafts, Reptile Discovery show or venue of sponsors’s request as long it fits within the budget. This sponsor will receive a banner no smaller than 3’ x 6’ with their logo in the on the activity of their choice, and have the option to man said activity, providing an opportunity to interact with potential clients in a fun atmosphere, as well as a space no larger than 10’ x 20’ to promote or sell their product.
“Official Sponsor”- (multiple available) $1,000 *– Your company, product or service can be designated as the “Official _____________ Sponsor of PorktoberQue. Only one of each product sponsorship of this nature will be sold, but may not interfere with the greater sponsorship levels. Examples include, soft drinks, bottled water, cellular phone, printer, bank, gas station, etc. An official sponsor may advertise that they are the Official XXX of PorktoberQue and will also receive a link on the festival web site, the right to have a booth at the Festival to promote or sell product, as well as a logo on the “Official Sponsors” banner which will be displayed at the gate during the festival.
Supporting Smoker Sponsor- $250– A Supporting Smoker receives a 10’ x 20’ premium booth space at the festival in which to sell or promote products or services and a name mention on posters and on the web site.
Non-Profit Booth $100- Non-Profits can receive a 10’ x 10’ booth space at the festival in which to sell or promote products or services, or solicit donations for their charitable cause.
AS YOU CAN SEE, there are a number of levels in which your business or organization can become involved in event marketing and sponsoring PorktoberQue. Please give me a call at (334) 699-1475 to arrange a no-obligation meeting so we can get your business some extra exposure and marketing opportunities through our event October 5-6, 2012.